Air conditioning is one of the largest electricity guzzlers in your home. Therefore, making some small changes to make your air conditioner’s efforts more effective can make a huge difference when it comes to your energy bill. Here are five easy tips to save yourself money this summer without sacrificing comfort:
- Perform regular maintenance on your system. This includes both changing your filter monthly and having a professional AC service check at the beginning of each cooling season.
- Adjust the thermostat. Many thermostats allow you to program a regular schedule. For example, if you know that everyone in your home will be gone during regular business hours for work and school, set the thermostat higher for those times.
- Close the blinds or drapes on the sunny side of your house.
- Make sure your attic is properly ventilated. Because 30% of the heat your house absorbs is through the roof, having a properly ventilated attic makes a huge difference in how much of that heat gets into the living areas of your home.
- When buying a new AC system, make sure you buy an energy efficient system. Do your research by looking up various energy ratings and comparing multiple systems before having an air conditioning system installed.